The Deakin and Withers Fund
Established in 1852, the Deakin & Withers Fund was founded thanks to the legacy of Thomas Deakin, a Sheffield businessman. Now, the fund is administered by SYCF and we are dedicated to ensuring that legacy can continue to help people.
Who Can Apply?
- Single, divorced, or widowed women over 40, who are in need, hardship or distress.
- Applicants must be active members of a church – 1000’s of churches are eligible: Anglican, Roman Catholic, Methodist, Baptistic, Pentecostal, Reformed, Lutheran, Salvation Army, Religious Society of Friends (Quaker), Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, African-instituted – are just some of those who are eligible.
- Please go to the Churches Together website for the full list.
We do not fund:
- Anything already paid for
Do you need help with?
- utility bills
- household items
How to apply?
For more information, please read the guidelines sheet:
If you want to make an application to the fund then download the: Deakin & Withers Application Form
and return it to Karen Alsop at SYCF.
This fund is not a crisis fund and it is not intended to provide a regular income.
- You go to your local Citizens Advice Bureau or equivalent organisation to receive free, impartial advice and practical help with any financial issues.
- You ensure that you are receiving any/all state benefits to which you are entitled.
- For help with benefit claims, you can seek advice and support from a Citizens Advice Bureau or your local council.
- You may also find it useful to check the Turn2Us website – turn2us.org.uk or the Christian’s Against Poverty website – www.capuk.org/
Could your organisation help promote the Deakin and Withers Fund?
SYCF is currently trying to spread awareness of this funding opportunity so Community halls, churches and centres can share it with their members. We want more people to be able to benefit from this fund and your help spreading the word could make a big difference in people’s lives.
Click the link below to download a poster which can be distributed to promote the fund.
DOWNLOAD – Fund promotion poster
If you think you could help then email firstname.lastname@example.org so we can provide you with the information you need.