The Deakin and Withers Fund
Established in 1852, the Deakin & Withers Fund was founded thanks to the legacy of Thomas Deakin, a Sheffield businessman. Now, the fund is administered by SYCF and we are dedicated to ensuring that legacy can continue to help people.
Who Can Apply?
- Single, divorced, or widowed women over 40, who are in need or hardship
- Applicants must be active members of a church – 1000’s of churches are eligible: Anglican, Roman Catholic, Methodist, Baptistic, Pentecostal, Reformed, Lutheran, Salvation Army, Religious Society of Friends (Quaker), Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, African-instituted – are just some of those who are eligible.
Please go to the Churches Together website for the full list.
We do not fund:
- Anything already paid for
Do you need help with?
- utility bills
- household items
How to apply?
For more information, please read the information sheet
Deakin & Withers Guidelines Sheet
If you want to make an application to the fund then download the: Deakin and Withers Application Form
and return it to Karen Alsop at SYCF.
This fund is not a crisis fund and it is not intended to provide a regular income.
- You go to your local Citizens Advice Bureau or equivalent organisation to receive free, impartial advice and practical help with any financial issues.
- You ensure that you are receiving any/all state benefits to which you are entitled.
- For help with benefit claims, you can seek advice and support from a Citizens Advice Bureau or your local council.
- You may also find it useful to check the Turn2Us website – turn2us.org.uk or the Christian’s Against Poverty website – www.capuk.org/
Could your Church help promote the Deakin and Withers Fund?
SYCF is currently trying to spread awareness of this funding opportunity so Churches can share it with their members. We want more people to be able to benefit from this fund and your help spreading the word could make a big difference to people’s lives!
If you think you could help then email firstname.lastname@example.org so we can provide you with the information you need.