The Grassroots Grants programme has come to an end, but left a really positive legacy for local communities throughout South Yorkshire.
The Government funded three year programme began in 2008 through the now disbanded Cabinet Office of the Third Sector with two distinct objectives:
- The Small Grants Fund - Make immediate small grant funding available to tackle local issues.
- The Endowment Challenge - Encourage philanthropy through a pound for pound match funding offer, creating endowed funds to support communities in the future.
The Grassroots Grants Small Grants Fund
We were tasked with delivering almost £1.5 million throughout Barnsley, Rotherham and Sheffield. Thanks to the expertise and local knowledge we have built up through more than 25 years of supporting communities, we delivered the funding to those groups and projects making a real impact.
- Barnsley: £334,096
- Rotherham: £358,590
- Sheffield: £772,860
The Grassroots Grants Endowment Challenge
Extremely ambitious targets were set for the Endowment Challenge that would all donations matched pound for pound to create endowed capital funds to benefit South Yorkshire communities.
- Initial target:
- £1.27 million across South Yorkshire
This would be doubled to create a fund of more than £2.5 million to support the area.
- Extra funding we fought for:
- £500,000 extra match funding came to our area that hadn't been taken advantage of in other areas of the country.
Once doubled this meant an extra £1 million on to our endowment total.
- Final amount raised:
- More than £3.5 million to support communities in South Yorkshire forever
The £3.5 million pot will sit in an endowed fund, with the income going out in grants to support vital community projects for years to come.
We are absolutely delighted with the achievement and want to thank all the South Yorkshire donors that showed just how generous and community minded they are by helping us to secure this vital funding.
The Challenge goes on…
While this endowed funding will provide valuable support for the future of South Yorkshire communities, we must turn our attentions to the pressing needs in local communities.
There is a range of ways that you can make a difference for those that need it most in our area. Everyone can be a philanthropist through SYCF.
Visit our Ways to Give section to see how you can help us tackle important local issues.